Sunday, 3 December 2017

My Thirty-Third 17/18 Game - Coventry City vs Boreham Wood

When we easily disposed of Maidenhead United in the first round of the FA Cup we got fairly lucky to be handed another National League side at home in the form of Boreham Wood. To take the high flyers in the fifth tier lightly would be foolish however as they've already claimed one scalp in this competition with their victory over Blackpool in the first round. With Shaun Jeffers and Blair Turgott in tow, they presented a potential banana skin on our route to a potential big tie in the third round.

Coventry City Starting XI:






Coventry City Substitutes:

Dev. Kelly-Evans

Mark Robins appeared to learn from his mistakes in the first half last week by switching from the wing back structure to just a flat back four. Rod McDonald stepped out of the side for today to make way for Tom Davies and the injured Liam Kelly remained unavailable, leaving us with a midfield trio of Ben Stevenson, Michael Doyle and Jordan Shipley. Maxime Biamou was also reintroduced into the side after being rested against Crawley Town last time out.

First Half

A slow start to the match meant that Boreham Wood were likely the better side, as they had most of the ball, albeit they couldn't create any chances with it. Michael Doyle and Duckens Nazon's early, slightly harsh, bookings meant we had to endure being referred to as dirty, and more shamefully, northern. The visitors were proving easy to nullify but being sat back meant we had to take our chance when it came, and that we did.

After some great build up play, Nazon played in McNulty who's shot was parried back to Nazon, he took advantage of the empty net by drilling the ball home, putting the Sky Blues 1-0 up after half an hour, perhaps undeservedly but we did well to take our chances. Fortunately for the Sky Blues, we took a firm grip of the gam as soon as this went in and from her until the final whistle, there was only ever going to be one winner. That's not to say we didn't have a couple of scares, as soon as we scored Andrande was played through but out of nowhere Ryan Haynes came in and blocked the shot. This was possibly the closest they came to a goal all match.

Five minutes before the break and Nazon weighted a beautiful pass through to McNulty who saw an opportunity with the keeper off his line and with his first touch, lobbed the keeper to perfection. This took his tally to seven for the season, with 3 in his last 3. It also meant we took a 2-0 lead into the break, looking more comfortable as we went on. Jordan Shipley was close to compiling their misery in added time but his shot went narrowly wide.

Half Time - Coventry City 2-0 Boreham Wood

Second Half

Straight after kick off we sealed the game when McNulty's great pass across the box found Shipley who from 2 yards out literally couldn't miss. This put the game beyond doubt unless Boreham Wood Istanbul'd us, but our defensive record suggested otherwise. He nearly doubled his personal tally for the day with a free kick from just outside the area but it went just the wrong side of the post. Similar to the first round, by this point we knew our work was done so didn't really need to try as much to score again.

On the hour mark we said goodbye to one City reject in Blair Turgott and hello to another in Shaun Jeffers as Wood made a double change. Whereas we ourselves took off goalscorers Shipley and Nazon for Devon Kelly-Evans and Peter Vincenti respectively. With 15 minutes left on the clock Max Biamou nearly added his name to the scoresheet when he went on a run down the right but his strike cannoned off the post and out.

Not long was remaining on the clock when we made our third and final switch of the match, official man of the match Michael Doyle made way for Tom Bayliss to make a rare first team appearance. In the dying seconds of injury time Biamou was given a chance on a plate by Vincenti but put his header wide, but by this point it didn't really matter. We'd completed what needed to be done.

Full Time - Coventry City 3-0 Boreham Wood

We beat a frankly poor side with ease very professionally, and the bottom line is, we're through to the third round of the FA Cup for the first time in four years. Fingers crossed we either get a massive tie or a winnable tie, no one wants a low end Championship team who we'll lose to and the atmosphere would be poor. Personally, like a lot of others, I'm hoping for Aston Villa at home as the atmosphere would be amazing and the Ricoh would be relatively full for once. That's just me though, make sure to look our for ball 64 in tomorrow night's draw...

My Man of the Match - Marc McNulty - He's really starting to come into his element now, he bagged a goal and an assist today, taking him up to 7 for the season. His and The Duck's goals will be key now that Jodi Jones is out for the season, hopefully he makes in four from four next Saturday at Morecambe as we return to league action and our promotion push.

No comments:

Post a Comment