Saturday, 15 October 2016

My Nineteenth 16/17 Game - Charlton Athletic vs Coventry City

 2 weeks from my last Coventry game, we've had international call ups, boycotted EFL Trophy matches, and even a trip to Slovenia since our first win of the season against Port Vale. Now it was very important that we would carry on our form and put everything in to getting 3 points against fellow strugglers in Charlton.

 Before I get on to the match however, we need to address something that happened beforehand. For a couple of weeks now a supporters group from Charlton "CARD - Coalition Against Roland Dutchalet" had teamed up with "Fighting the Jimmy Hill Way Alliance" to make football history in a joint protest between both sets of fans.

It went perfectly, there was a huge turnout, a couple thousand Charlton and near 1k Coventry paraded through the streets of South East London chanting, pleading with both respective owners Roland Dutchalet and SISU.

Coventry City Starting XI:





Coventry City Substitutes:


 The big thing that you could see was the inclusion of Burge even though Charles-Cook is back to fitness. I don't rate Burge and neither do most other fans from what I've seen. Lameiras finally having a chance to shine is something I've been looking for for a while, so I was glad to see him making the starting eleven.

First Half

 As soon as the first whistle was blown, the entire pitch was pelted with rubber pigs. I'm sure that you'll have seen it on every social media possible but the game was stopped for 7 minutes thanks to both sets of fans lobbing these small little pigs from all angles of The Valley. The entire match was filled with unity, togetherness aimed at SISU and Roland Dutchalet.

 I'm not going to go into too much detail about the match, mainly because I don't think I can live through it all again. Basically, Page got injured early on so Ricketts came on in his place. Ruben Lameiras had a crack from 25 yards and hit the inside of the post, it trickled back out which was met by our agonising groans.

 As if by magic, Charlton went straight up the other end, hoofed the ball over the top to 5 yards offside Holmes. He poked right past Burge, we were 1-0 down, perhaps undeservedly. This took the game in to half time after a fairly dull 15 minutes, the Addicks did look to be on top as the goal completely took it out of us.

Second Half

 We nearly equalised very early on in the second half, a bit of a pinball defensive situation mean that Rudd pulled off a great save to stop an embarrassing own goal. Ademola Lookman and Josh Magennis went on to add late goals to Charlton's tally to make the game finish 3-0. Both goals were at the fault of Ricketts as well as Burge.

 I apologise that this report is so short, I just can't deal with it any more. But all in all, the day was good, for any Charlton fans reading this I would like to thank all of your fans for everything you did for us today and I hope we returned the favour with our help and also it would be great to see as many of you as possible at the Ricoh in March.

Tuesday night against Oxford is already my 20th match this season which is sad to think about. The FA Cup draw on Monday could give us a good away day for the start of November. Braintree, Plymouth and Pompey are just a few I would love due to one reason or another.

My Man of the Match - Ben Stevenson - He played very well today did our Ben, one of the silver linings in this awful situation is that he's just signed a new 4 year deal with the Sky Blues. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he's already got an award, so this brings him to 2. Hopefully he'll clock up a few ore in the next few years. Should we still be a club that is...

No comments:

Post a Comment