Monday, 7 March 2016

My Thirty-Second 15/16 Game - Coventry City vs Bury

 Over a month had passed since our last win, we needed to win against Bury, as promotion seemed to be slipping away from us very quickly, with the likes of Millwall, Southend, Bradford, and Sheffield United all closing in on us. Hopefully our new look defence has had time to gel, helping us tighten up and focus on attack rather than parking the bus from the start to the finish like against Port Vale.

 The theme of this days match was the annual legends day game, with sky blue past players in attendance. In the empty north stand, a picture of the biggest Sky Blue legend of them all was brandished, the day after his memorial service at Coventry Cathedral. A gigantic Jimmy Hill was watching as the Sky Blues on, if that's not an incentive to win I don't know what is.

 As for the team, Charles-Cook started in goal behind a back four of Ricketts, Stephens, Cargill and Stokes. Fleck and Vincelot were holding the midfield for the first time since Burton, Maddison, Cole and Murphy were in the attacking midfield with Armstrong up top. This is our strongest team in my opinion. Another notable thing was Leon Clarke's Ricoh Arena return, this time on the team of Bury.

 If there was any way we could put our bad form to bed, we needed an early goal, and that was exactly what we got, a Joe Cole corner played to Chris Stokes who volleyed into the top corner putting the Sky Blues 1-0 up on 4 minutes, then only 8 minutes later, Cole put the ball in from a free kick for Cargill to stab in at the far post, 2-0 city.

  15 minutes in, a quick free kick from John Fleck to Maddison who turned the defender and smashed into the far corner, a quarter of an hour in and it was 3-0, at this rate the full time score would have been 18-0 to the Sky Blues. Unfortunately, it didn't finish this way, but the goals certainly didn't finish there.

  After the third goal went in we appeared to take our foot off the gas slightly, Leon Clarke went through but shot straight at Charles-Cook's face, on the stroke of half time the ball came to Fleck 35 yards out, right in his range, he took two steps and struck beautifully into the same corner Maddison had scored from previously. Not for the first, or even second time this season, we found ourselves 4-0 up at the break, showing no signs of stopping.

 With 20 minutes to play, Cole played the ball through to Armstrong who took the ball passed the last defender to smash home to make it 5-0, just 2 minutes later he managed to double his tally for the game, this time the keeper got a hand to it, but not enough to keep it out, and that was how the game ended.

 What a massive win, we really showed signs that we had turned a corner, hopefully, the only way from here is up. The Thirty-Third 'A View From The Stands' is something a lot different to everything I've written about before, so look forward to that.

My Man Of The Match - Joe Cole - If you would receive an award for a hat-trick of goals then equally I should give it to Cole for his hat trick of assists, despite how biased I am towards him. This puts him in joint second place with Charles-Cook and Lameiras, all trailing Armstrong by one on four.

No comments:

Post a Comment