Tuesday, 17 November 2015

My Sixteenth 15/16 Game Colchester United vs Coventry City

 Off the back of our very disappointing FA cup exit to Northampton, we got back to our league campaign and our first away fixture in 3, Walsall and Burton had their fixtures postponed due to international call ups, meaning a win could take us top depending on the Gillingham score line. However we too had been bitten by the international break as Adam Armstrong and Ryan Kent had both been called up for separate England squads as they usually are.

 Putting the football aside, the night before the match was one which will be remembered in history, as Paris had experienced numerous attacks across the city, this is something which needs to be acknowledged and was done so with a minutes silence in honour of the victims. Romain Vincelot and Marc-Antoine Fortune both had family and friends living in the French capital but have expressed that they have contacted them and say they are safe.

 The French pair both started for the Sky Blues, Vincelot returning from suspension. Partnering Romain was John Fleck, and behind them was the usual back four of Phillips, Martin, Ricketts and Stokes, Reice Charles-Cook came back into the side after a minor injury ruled him out of the Northampton fixture. On the wings were Ruben Lameires and Jim O'Brien, with Jacob Murphy playing behind Fortune.

 The Sky Blues started brightly, with Murphy and Fleck both getting shots away, but it was Colchester who drew first blood, a cross in from Callum Harriott to Macauley Bonne from 2 yards to slip past Charles-Cook who possibly could have done better, but either way, we were 1-0 down within 16 minutes. After the goal went in we seemed to switch off, we were getting lucky as Colchester were having attack after attack and it wasn't happening for them.

 We needed a saviour, and got that in bizarre fashion, Marvin Sordell waltzed through the defence and beat Charles-Cook at his near post but it was the woodwork which denied him as the ball trickled across the line and was soon cleared, it was this which knocked us into shape and it took us just 4 minutes to equalise through Jacob Murphy, when the ball fell to him on the edge of the 6 yard box and he finished well into the bottom corner.

 5 minutes before the break and we took a quick free kick but kicked it straight over the top of everyone for the last defender to easily put his foot on. But he didn't do this, it seemed as if it went straight through it, but this led to Jacob Murphy being 1 on 1 with the keeper whom he rounded with ease to give the Sky Blues the lead for the first time on 40 minutes. We contained our lead and held out until the half time whistle.

 We began the second half as we ended the first, on top. It only took 3 minutes for us to strike again when Ruben Lameires did some good skill to get past the defender, had a shot which former Sky Blue keeper Jones made a hash of and gave it straight to Fortune to give the Sky Blues a comfortable lead so we had some breathing space. From here on in we saw out the game, not playing too defensive, but not too attacking either. Full time eventually came after some good saves by Charles-Cook.

 A good solid win takes us up to 2nd, only behind Gillingham on goal difference. And it is Gillingham we face next at the Ricoh Arena which will be 'A View From The Stands' number 17, and possibly the biggest game of our season so far.

My Man Of The Match - Jacob Murphy - It's no secret I am not his biggest fan, but Jacob played brilliant today and was rewarded with a brace. This gets him off the mark with the awards, behind Lameires, Ricketts and Armstrong on 2 and 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment